Just for Laughs Comedy Conference announced a pitch competition for comedy web series. I’ve read the guidelines which are sort of on the confusing side. Even the title of the thing is confusing:
“PITCH ”˜TIL YOUR SIDES SPLIT” JUST FOR LAUGHS COMEDY CONFERENCE PITCH PROGRAM and the COMEDY BOOTCAMP FOR FILM
This is how I understand the thing. There’s going to be a web series pitching competition as part of Just for Laughs. The competitions will be held Saturday, July 17th, 2010 at 10:15 am — 11:30 am at the Hyatt Regency in Montreal. At the competition, you get five minutes to pitch your comedy web series idea before an audience and a panel of judges who will then give you feedback “regarding the strength of individual pitches, the appeal of the project and anything else the panelists feel appropriate to impart.” There will also be a 15 minute Q&A with the audience.
To be part of the pitch competition, you have to apply and pay a $40 fee. The submission deadline is May 1th, 2010. The details on what you have to submit are below and verbatim from the site. It looks to me like you need a lot of material and maybe the submission guidelines were based on what you need for TV and not created with any particular understanding of web series.
Nonetheless this is another indication that web series are coming of age and considered a real part of the entertainment industry.
The following materials must be included at the time of submission for the Multi-Platform Web Series:
- Completed pilot episode (digital video up to five (5) minutes running time) to be screened as part of pitch;
- Budget top sheet
- Complete series ”˜bible’ (includes project synopsis, character breakdown, first season episode descriptions);
- Bio’s of creative and producing team;
- Evidence that one (1) of creative and producing team has at least one (1) professional credit on a currently airing or recently aired webisode, music video, – TV commercial, on-line game or feature/short film (link to reel should also be included in submission);
- It is understood that submitted materials will not be returned.
In all categories, please ensure that all uploaded and submitted documents and materials are clearly labeled with the project title, applicants name, contact telephone and email. All applicants will be contacted via email so please ensure that you provide a working email address.
What do you think? Are you going to apply?